Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Gift of Shabbos

Was out of town this weekend, visting (non-religious) family members who live very near an Orthodox community. Walked to a modern Orthdox shul Friday night. Ended up with an invitation to dinner at the rabbi's home.

What a treat and honor. If I can recall the lineup: the rabbi and rebbitzen, 9 children, a son-in-law, and 2 (?) grandchildren, plus us two guests. Much laughter, singing, delicious food, and and good-natured debate among the children in answering their father's questions about Jewish sages, Talmud, etc.

A large house, large family, and large amount of joy and love. Who needs weekend sports, TV, and shopping?

I was humbled once again by a Jewish family's enthusiasm for yiddishkeit and  the earnest and strong desire to fulfill the mitzvah of welcoming strangers.

***

In the years that I belonged to a Conservative shul as a single adult, I never once saw the inside of another congregant's home. I don't hold a grudge; it just wasn't part of the culture. A few of them studied some Torah, but virtually none lived Torah.

In contrast, on my first weekend in my new frum community, I had to take rainchecks for the (too!) many offers of hospitality.

As the gabbai at my new minyan described it, "In the Orthdox world, we treat Shabbos as a gift from HaShem that we appreciate and share with others, and not as a burden and obligation that gets in the way of sports, shopping, and television."

I now know what Shabbat is really supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment