Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Phrasing = New Framing

Made a phone call tonight to a single frum woman in another state who was suggested to me by a dear friend in my community.

We had a nice conversation and we plan to chat again soon. But I wanted to write about the golden nugget that she gave me tonight. She said that "disappointments are HaShem's opportunities for us to learn how to better our lives.

***

A seemingly trivial change in phrasing makes a huge difference in re-framing one's view of life.

Last summer, a wonderful rabbi asked me how my new journey on the derech was going.

It had been a rough week. Work was not great, I was less than thrilled with my social life. And  I was wondering why I had become religious (i.e. questioning my decision).

I told that rabbi that I was experiencing a bit of "crisis of faith".

He responded, "Would it be better to describe it as an opportunity to strengthen your faith?"

I was dumbstruck by his reframing of my doubts. I realized right then and there that the power to change our lives to better fulfill HaShem's plan for me lay within us.

***

I'm headed for Refuah Shelemah, and I wish the same for everybody else.

Shavoua Tov

No comments:

Post a Comment